The Dr. Jason Carthen Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarship
The Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarship
Two, $1,000 scholarships will be awarded annually to high school seniors entering college.
The purpose of The Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarship is to encourage and enable high school students to (a) go to college, (b) realize the impact that civically engaged and community focused individuals can have on the world, and (c) target a career that is in alignment with their purpose.
The student must meet the following guidelines:
- Be a current high school senior.
- Plan to attend a four-year College or University of higher learning in the fall of the calendar year you are applying.
- Declare a major that demonstrates civic engagement and a community focused intent. Special consideration shall be given to business (i.e. Finance, Business Administration, or Marketing), social work, computer information systems, or declared majors with a non-profit emphasis (i.e. Non-profit management, political science, or social service administration). However, we encourage all to apply!
- Demonstrate a passion for community service and civic engagement.
- Demonstrate leadership at school and/or in the community.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher
- Require financial assistance to attend college.
These are two renewable four year scholarships up to $4,000 respectively ($1,000 annually). The criteria for renewal is at the sole discretion of the scholarship committee. However, the student must:
(1) Continue to be enrolled in a four-year college or university, (2) maintain a minimum cumulative 3.3 GPA, (3) have declared a major that demonstrates civic engagement (see Scholarship Guidelines), and (4) remain actively involved with The Leaders of Tomorrow Initiative.
The deadline for submitting applications for the Fall 2016 semester is July 29, 2016 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time. Finalists will be notified via email and postal mail by week of August 29, 2016. A phone interview will be scheduled after notification. If you have any questions, please email us at info@TheLotInitiative.org
Please include all of the following materials with your Scholarship application.
Your Bio should include the following information:
Extracurricular activities (school and community related)
Honors and awards (if possible, include awards that demonstrate civic engagement or community related)
In an essay format of two pages or more, please tell us how you meet the above Scholarship Guidelines (how you plan to demonstrate civic engagement and community service), and share with us why you should be the award recipient. Your essay should include full contact information for yourself as well as for your parents or guardian.
*Please note that you must also attach a pdf of your academic transcript from your most recently completed school year.
**Existing Carthen Scholars attach most recent University Transcript.
***Applicants must also attach a pdf of their FAFSA form. Application without accompanying transcript and FAFSA will not be considered.
Recap: Complete application with Essay, Transcript, and FAFSA by July 29, 2016.
Scholarship recipients will be notified week of August 29, 2016 by USPS mail and email.
**Your privacy and consent is very important to us. The information you provide to us is securely maintained and is kept strictly confidential. The cornerstone to protecting your privacy is consent. We only collect, use, and disclose your personal information with your consent. **